Taylor Swift has stated that she has written songs about all of her ex-boyfriends. So this is a list of who was the inspiration for what song, what interviews she talked about it in, and any other relevant information. Some of these might be fan conclusions as Taylor has not confirmed most of them.
- Brandon Borello
- The song “Tim McGraw” was inspired by Brandon, her ex-boyfriend. Their relationship ended because he had to go to college. Taylor told USA Today, "He bought the album [Taylor Swift] and said he really loved it, which is sweet. His current girlfriend isn't too pleased with it, though." He was going away to college so she wanted to write him something to remember her goodbye.
- Jordan Alford
- “Picture to Burn” was written about him, whom she calls a redneck, and says he never let her drive his pick-up truck.
- Drew Hardwick
- “Teardrops on My Guitar” was written about a boy she liked, whom she never actually dated. "Drew was a real person!" she tells. Drew was surprised when he heard his name in the song. "I never knew she liked me," Drew says. Taylor stated that two years after the song came out Drew showed up at her house and asked her on a date. She declined. "It was the perfect fairytale ending but a little too late."
- Sam Armstrong
- Joe Jonas
- Joe broke up with her over a 27 second phone call, which is something she has complained about on The Ellen DeGeneres' Show. She got her record company to let her record a song about it, to add at the last minute to her album. “Forever & Always” is the name of that song. She also wrote “Last Kiss” about him and “Better than Revenge” is about his ex-girlfriend, Camila Belle. The previously unreleased song "Mr. Perfectly Fine", from the re-recorded version of Fearless, is also rumored to be about him.
- Taylor Lautner
- Taylor Lautner became her boyfriend after they met on set for the film Valentine's Day. Their relationship was popularly known as Taylor Squared. They broke up in early 2010. She mentioned going to a hockey game with him during her October 29th, 2009 appearance on The Ellen Show. According to MTV he was more into her than she was into him, him going everywhere he could to see her, but it was not working out.  The song “Back to December” is suspected to be about him as an apology. Some of the lyrics go, "You gave me roses, and I left them there to die... So this is me swallowing my pride, standing in front of you saying I'm sorry for that night... You gave me all your love and all I gave you was goodbye." At the end of the song she asks for his forgiveness and hints to the fact she wants to be with him again. The couple hasn't reunited. At the 2010 American Music Awards, Swift performed the song and at the end added, "and he said... it's too late to 'pologize" from popular song "Apologize" by the band One Republic. She is alluding to the parody video Taylor Lautner made for "Apologize".  Time magazine listed this as one of the top apologies of 2010. 
- John Mayer
- Adam Young (not ex)
- Jake Gyllenhaal
- Conor Kennedy
- He is rumored to be the inspiration behind the song “Begin Again”
- Harry Styles
- Calvin Harris
- Tom Hiddleston
- To learn about Taylor's current boyfriend, please read Current love interest.
Table of exes
|Joe Jonas||July 2008 - October 2008||Broke up over the phone for 27 secs. Inspired “Forever & Always” & "Last Kiss".|
|Taylor Lautner||August 2009 - November 2009||Met on set of Valentine's Day in her dressing room. Inspired “Back To December”.|
|John Mayer||November 2009 - February 2010||Inspired “Dear John”.|
|Jake Gyllenhaal||October 2010 - December 2010||Inspired “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” & '"All Too Well".|
|Conor Kennedy||July 2012 - October 2012||
Broke up due to long-distance issues.
|Harry Styles||December 2012 - January 2013||Broke up due to heated argument with each other.|
|Calvin Harris||March 2015 - June 2016||Broke up due to him being jealous of her success.|
|Tom Hiddleston||June 2016 - September 2016||Their break up is thought to be because of the pressures of being in limelight. Inspired “Getaway Car”.|
Some of the notes are not confirmed.